A landfill is a large outdoor site specifically designed for the disposal of waste. Not all landfills are the same. Different kinds of landfills accept different kinds of waste including:
- Industrial waste
- Hazardous waste
- Construction and demolition debris
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW), commonly defined as household trash or garbage.
When you think of a landfill, you probably are thinking of the landfill that accepts your household trash or garbage. In Louisiana, that’s known as a Type 3 landfill. Louisianans generate about 4.2 million tons of this type of trash/garbage in a typical year. Of that amount, 70.5 percent (about 3 million tons) was disposed of in the state’s Type 3 landfills. The remainder â 29.5 percent (1,229,100 tons) â of the state’s MSW was recycled.
Why do we need any landfills?
Waste reduction, reuse and recycling divert large parts of our waste from landfills, but not all of it. That waste must be managed safely to protect human health and the environment.
|˙ūP a r i s h|